To enhance the environment in which our members operate and to promote the highest standards of funeral service to the public.
- Answer questions about arranging and prearranging funerals; cremation and burial options; Medicaid issues; consumer rights pertaining to funerals and preplanning; death and funeral statistics; casket purchasing; and issues regarding embalming and viewing the deceased.
- Provide a searchable listing of our membership to assist when looking for a funeral home in New York State.
- Provide resources for dealing with grief and bereavement.
- Provide information on funeral service as a career.
- Provide NYSFDA members detailed information on association and industry-specific activities.
History & Facts
- The New York State Funeral Directors Association (NYSFDA) is the oldest association of funeral directors in the United States.
- The original organization was founded in 1889; in 1933 it assumed its current name.
- Approximately 900 funeral homes operating in New York State belong to NYSFDA.
- Headquarters are in Albany, New York.
- NYSFDA membership is open to any funeral firm and its owners and employees who are licensed by the State of New York to offer funeral services.
- NYSFDA members receive updated industry information, compliance materials, and a monthly newsletter. Educational programs include mandatory annual OSHA training, an annual convention and tradeshow, seminars and regional meetings.
- NYSFDA members are eligible to participate in PrePlan, the industry leader for preneed trust fund management that offers complete security and flexibility for both consumers and funeral directors.
- NYSFDA publishes the Funeral Consumers Information Series, a collection of brochures written to educate consumers about end-of-life issues: Preplanning, Prefunding a Funeral, Personal and Financial Affairs Checklist for End-of-Life Planning, When a Death Occurs, and Transitions: A Consumer Guide as well as a quarterly newspaper column.